Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On to the next one....

So, betcha thought I was in a ditch somewhere since I haven't blogged in such a long time. :) Well, here I am and ready to share some recent activities and future ones as well. First of all, this summer has been (so far) very relaxing and fun! Sloan has spent 10 days with my parents while Kevin was in California. He was a part of his friends wedding in Visalia, then off to San Fran to see one of his college buddies and got to go see Alcatraz, go to a San Diego baseball game, eat at some fresh sea food joints, visit Amoeba records, and lots more!

Sloan and I are migrating north to Colorado next week for a week to see family and my cousin J'Lyn Chapman http://chinatown.usa.blogspot.com get hitched! I am very excited to go to Colorado for the following reasons:

1. see family
2. get the hell out of this Texas heat
3. whitewater rafting
4. the smells of Colorado, the sights...everything just about

Kevin will not be joining us, however I'll be sure to keep him updated on how much cooler it is up there, if not at least less humid. While Kevin was in Cali, he was telling me he was wearing his fleece during the day and how chilly it was near the bay, all the while I'm dying in Texas where its 100+ with 80% humidity- and no rain. payback baby.

One of my new goals is to participate in a race each month. So far I've done the Xterra race which was a 5k trail run, came 3rd in my age group and 11th overall for women and did my personal best at that time with at 12:36 min/mile. In June I did a 10k in a small town approximately 1.5 hours away Dublin, Texas where my PR stands at 10:21min/mile. I think it took me around 1 hour and 4 min to complete the 6 miles.

So whats next you ask?? Well, the day after my sister Kenda's wedding markandkenda.com is the TriWaco. If you're wondering if I've ever done one - the answer is emphatically NO. Kenda and her fiance Mark challenged and encouraged me to participate and so before I knew it, I signed up online and I'm not going to let $75 go down the drain. So I've been "training" for this triathlon for the past 2 months. I've really enjoyed 66% of the training, the running and biking...the swimming is not coming so easy. Unfortunately, this is the first event in the triathlon...so if you're coming to the race (and I would be honored if you did) NO, I am not having a seizure, this is just what I look like when I swim. If I make it out of the water, please cheer because I'm gonna need it! ALSO some others that are racing with me are my brothers Keegan and Kaleb and my most favorite cousin Heather! The best part of the race is the fact that lots of family will be present to cheer us on!

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. My only goal for this race is to make it across the finish line outside of an ambulance. My standards are high.

1 comment:

Burke Family said...

Wow - 3rd in your age group?? Impressed!!!!! Can't wait to white water raft and complete the tri! Love your most favorite cousin!! :-) :-) :-)